Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Fancy the schmancy

During our first week in Austin, Luke trolled the restaurant reviews and found a place that featured a wild game plate (venison, rabbit, quail, buffalo). And, of course, the restaurant also featured Texas-size prices. Once I got a look at the dessert menu I agreed that we just had to save our pennies in order to make a trip. We finally went this weekend and wow! The game plate was excellent but oh the desserts! (Of course I skimped on eating a "real meal" so that I could justify ordering two desserts.) A rosemary olive oil cake layered with lemon curd and buttercream AND a caramel pecan pie dipped in Belgian chocolate. I called them up today to find out what chocolate they use on the pie, as it was one of the most memorable desserts I've ever eaten. The answer is: Callebaut's semi-sweet, thinned with hazelnut oil. The chef confessed that they use every chance they can get to add flavor to their dishes, thus the hazelnut oil instead of the usual flavorless vegetable oils. You know, I've used nut oils in salad dressings before, but hadn't thought of using it as a thinner. Brilliant, yes? Lucky the person who invites me to Thanksgiving next year because I foresee a pie pan full of chocolate-dipped pecan slices....

3 comments:

  1. Can you believe I'm from the South & cannot stand pecan pie? I blame my Californian mother. Give me an ice cold hunk of lemon meringue any day instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check to see if you can get the Callebaut chocolate at a local restaurant supplier. I get it here at a price slightly below what the grocery store charges for chocolate chips. (Unfortunately it means that I have to buy 30lbs at a time, but it's perfect food storage, and I can usually find a friend to split it with me)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I checked at our local store, and it's a no-go. Chef's warehouse online used to carry it, but no longer. I can get it in bulk from a local healthy-ish food store. Bought a small chunk last week just to nibble on and realized when I came home that somehow I snagged the unsweetened version. Bah.

    ReplyDelete