Monday, April 20, 2009

Pie Slice Bakery

This joint on South Lamar is worth the trip beyond yuppied-up Barton Springs. Their display case of pies and cakes made me weak in the knees - and kept my toddler entertained - she spent her time running back and forth from the chocolate chip cookies to the coconut tres leches cake. The draw for me was their black bottom banana cream pie. I expected a small drizzle of chocolate pudding on the bottom, but holy cow this pie exceeded all expectations - my slice literally featured a half inch thick layer of chocolate ganache. Crazy awesome taste combination. However, the banana flavor was a bit weak - more like a great homemade custard with a few banana slices tossed in. But no matter, this is a slice I will happily order again. The coconut cream was excellent - no cloying sweetness in this creation which, unfortunately for my waistline, made it easy to polish off the entire piece. Their vegetable shortening pie crusts are better than most. Eaten on its own, a chunk of their pie crust reminded me of the pastry on a grocery store cream horn. Not awful but could be a bit better.

I have a position that I don't eat cake laced with shortening; mercifully the enthusiastic woman behind the counter came back with "it's butter in the chocolate ganache". The Death by Chocolate cake was a surprise with its alternating layers of chocolate and chocolate-chip studded white cake. But the ganache and chocolate mouse ensures that your PMS needs will be met.

I only chose one savory to balance our sugar splurge: the turkey croissant was yummy. After seeing the happy pile of home fries on a patron's plate, I will so be back for breakfast - with pie on the side, naturally!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That black bottom banana cream pie?! That sounds amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete