Thursday, April 23, 2009

Healthy Nachos

Let's make it clear right off the bat that my wussy version of nachos consists of melted cheese over some chips, occasionally topped off with salsa verde. (My mother-in-law adds enchilada sauce to hers for some great flavor.)
Anyway, nachos are one of my favorite late night snacks. But the associated fat gram count is depressing - and as I can hardly get healthier than low-fat mozzarella for the topping, I had to consider finding a substitute for my chips. I've made my own chips out of corn tortillas, but they just don't measure up. I've tried Tostitos baked tortilla scoops. Blech - covered in salt, which still doesn't hide the fact that they taste like cardboard. Lucky me to discover, in the tortilla aisle at Walmart, Sanissimo's paper carton of baked tortilla chips. This is a chip with a satisfying "hey, this is really corn and not a bazillion other filler ingredients" mouth feel, it's low in sodium, and has 1 gram of fat per serving. And let me tell you, covered in cheese, I don't feel like I'm missing a thing! (And their tostados are great for scooping up the Indian food I highlighted yesterday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment