Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Are muffins an appropriate breakfast food?

Luke volunteered to bring treats to his early-morning Sunday School class. The definition of treats for teenagers seems to be anything filled with sugar, but I think that giving kids a bunch of sugar at 6:30am must contribute to delinquency. So I'm pretty sceptical of muffins generally (one food writer referred to them as eating cupcakes for breakfast - minus the frosting). However, these whole wheat babies are just barely sweet. And man, are they filling. I tried eating two for breakfast with my regular side of fruit and I was painfully full for hours.

Old-Fashioned Whole Wheat Raisin Nut Muffins
Makes about 15 muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 ½ t baking powder
1 t baking soda
¾ t salt
½ cup nuts, chopped
½ cup raisins
½ cup coconut
1 egg
¼ cup oil
1 cup + 2 T cold water

1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin tins or prepare paper liners.
2.Mix together flour, sugar, dry milk, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3.Mix in nuts, raisins, and coconut.
4.In another bowl, beat egg with a fork. Stir in oil and water.
5.Add egg mixture to flour mixture.
6.Mix just enough to combine, with all ingredients moistened.
7.Spoon into muffin tins. Bake for 10 minutes.

Notes: I use unsweetened coconut flakes and my largest cookie scoop to measure out batter.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not so sure there's anything wrong with cupcakes for breakfast, even with frosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm down with cupcakes - as long as they are honest about their identity! Pass the buttercream frosting, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to stand up for the muffins (as I sit here eating one!)-- one no-frills attached muffin is about 30 carbs, or about the same as one good sized banana. A cupcake even w/o frosting is about double that. A muffin is no cupcake! ;)

    ReplyDelete